What online tutorials are available?
Advice and training for literature searching and critical appraisal is available to NHS staff through Microsoft Teams.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to book a session.
University of Exeter online tutorials
There are University of Exeter help guides and tutorials on how to use resources available on the UEMS Library & Research Skills webpage.
Topics covered include:
- How to use the library catalogue (University of Exeter)
- How to reference
- The Literature search process
- Critical appraisal for medical and health sciences
Other online tutorials
A collection of tips and demonstrations on using the Cochrane Library.
- Cochrane Library Search tour
- Understanding search error messages (download)
- View a PowerPoint demonstration online
- Download the PowerPoint outlining search features
- FAQs (Where can I find?) for Cochrane website change
CASP is part of Better Value Healthcare, a training organisation led by Professor Sir Muir Gray, and based in Oxford. The programme has developed workshops and tools for critical appraisal covering a wide range of research. It has also developed finding the evidence workshops, interactive and e-learning resources.
The E-Learning Repository is an extensible ‘search and discover platform’ to support the discovery and sharing of e-learning objects and learning resources. Register for access.
The tutorial covers the following:
- Understand PubMed’s scope and content.
- Understand how the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) are used to describe and retrieve citations.
- Build a search using MeSH and PubMed search tools.
- Manage your results and save records of interest.
- Save your search strategies.
- Link to or order full-text articles.
- Link to related resources.
CPD Online from the Royal College of Psychiatrists is an e-learning resource for mental health professionals. Members of the Royal College of Psychiatrists can use CPD Online to complete up to half of their annual CPD requirements.
SCIE’s free health and social care e-learning resources, which have been produced for front line staff by subject experts and digital design professionals.
Page last reviewed: 6 December 2022